1954  Austin  A40 Van

Location In Museum: Boomtown

These light vans were based on the Austin A49 saloon and were very popular with delivery drivers because their saloon car comfort made them pleasant to drive. They had independent front suspension by coil springs and wishbones, and hydraulic brakes all round.

This example was purchased new by Linds Garage of Bradford who fitted side windows for convenience when the van was used for personal transport. When Mr. Lind generously donated the van to the Museum in 1980 it had covered over 260,000 miles.

The van has been restored to its original condition by B & K Motors of Bulkington. The restoration was possible due to the generosity of the Coventry Evening Telegraph which used many of these vans for newspaper delivery in and around the city, and whose livery the van now wears.
 

 
Back   Home