Austin introduced the Gipsy in 1957 and manufactured over 20,000 at Longbridge and Adderley Park, Birmingham. This vehicle is fitted with a fire tender body and spent its working life at Morris Engines No. 2 factory (formerly the Riley factory) in Durbar Avenue, Coventry. It dealt with many small fires and emergencies during its 31 years service. It has only covered 1,800 miles from new, which is typical for such a factory service vehicle. Austin built similar versions for all of their British plants and they are unusual in that they have “Flexitor” rubber torsion suspension. When new in 1959 the Gipsy cost £650, plus the cost of the fire tender conversion and equipment.
The vehicle was donated to the Museum in 1991 by Coventry Components, of Durbar Avenue, Coventry.