1897  Coventry Motette  3 h.p.

Location In Museum: Landmarques

This tricar was built by the Humber Company and was based on the French Léon Bollée. The vehicle on display differs from the Bollée in that it has tiller steering, and the exhaust valve is on top of the cylinder instead of underneath. It was originally fitted with a hot tube ignition system, but has been converted to an electrical system in the interests of reliability.
The car took part in a number of London to Brighton runs and completed every one. It was purchased by the Museum in 1961 for £475 and completely rebuilt by Museum staff with the aid of a Job Creation Scheme.
 

 
Back   Home