This 12/60 Alvis was designed by Captain G.T. Smith-Clarke, Chief Engineer for Alvis. and has a beetle back body that gives its aero dynamic looking shape. The body was built by Carbodies of Coventry, whose factory was directly opposite the Alvis factory on the Holyhead Road. Carbodies are well known for the London type black cab taxis and are now called LTI Ltd. (London Taxis International).
Alvis cars were produced by the manufacturer Alvis Car and Engineering Company Ltd of Coventry, from 1919 to 1967. The company also produced aero-engines and military vehicles, the latter continuing long after car production ceased.
The car was bequeathed to the Museum by the estate of Mr. W. Edgar after his death in 1995.
In 1932 this sporty 1496cc Alvis would have cost £450.