1911  Daimler Motor Co. Ltd.  12 h.p.

Location In Museum: Landmarques

This is a very rare example of a Daimler with a 12hp Knight sleeve valve engine. This engine was developed by the American engineer Charles Knight, and the Daimler Company adopted it in 1910. It was quieter than other engines of the period because it replaced the noisy poppet valves with a sleeve valve fitted between the piston and the cylinder wall.

This car would have cost £375 when new, whereas a 57hp Daimler would have cost £900 for the chassis only, with the bodywork being extra.

The car was overhauled and returned to its original specifications by Daimler apprentices in 1944.
 

 
Back   Home