This car was originally a sales demonstrator for Alvis, being used by T.G. John, the founder and managing director of the company. It was sold to a private owner in 1939 and exported to America in the 1970s, where it lay idle for many years. It was brought back to the UK in 1998 and has since been extensively overhauled. However, it remains largely original and the mileage (about 80,000) is thought to be genuine from new. The spare wheel had a metal cover but this did not return with the car from the USA.
The car was generously placed with the Museum by the Alvis company in 1995.