Cluley (Clarke, Cluley & Co.)
1920 - 1932
Clark, Cluley & Company were a firm of cycle and motor manufacturers in Coventry.
Beginning in 1884, the firm began making cycles at Well Street offering 'Globe' and later 'Clincher' safety models.
By the turn of the Century, in addition to cycles they began making motor-bicycles powered by Coventry-built MMC engines, but by 1911 the company reverted back to just cycle manufacturing.
It was not until the start of the 1920s that Clarke, Cluley & Company entered the motor market again, this time with cars built under the 'Cluley' name. These were generally light-cars of 10 and 12hp, but later they expanded to a six-cylinder model by 1924.
Car manufacture lasted until 1928, when the company opted to carry on as general engineers, and later, manufacturers of parts for textile machinery. A move to nearby Kenilworth came after WWII and the business traded until closure in 1987.