Daimler Motor Co. Ltd.
1896 - 1990
Harry Lawson set up the Daimler Motor Company in Coventry in 1896 after buying a disused cotton mill in the Draper’s Field area of the City, and transforming it into the famous ‘Motor Mills’. Initially, prototype cars were developed, but by 1897 the production of Daimler models was well under way – the first company in Britain to mass produce motorcars. Daimler steadily became famous for making commercial vehicles, luxurious cars and limousines – often the first choice of royalty, the rich and famous. The business became a part of BSA in 1910, until 1960 when the Daimler name was purchased by Jaguar Cars. Jaguar continued to build the luxury Daimler’s in Coventry until July 2005.