Birmingham Small Arms Co. BSA, Birmingham
Location In Museum: Motorcycle Gallery
The M20 model was introduced in 1937. It had a single cylinder side-valve engine of 500 cc, and was heavy and slow, but reliable and easy to maintain. These latter qualities made the bike ideal for military use as unskilled mechanics could easily keep it running on the battlefield. Produced at the rate of 1,000 per week during the war, it was actually standard issue in the British Army for 20 years after the war ended. The model continued in civilian specification until being phased out in 1956.