Although most enthusiasts remember Francis Barnett as a producer of two stroke motorcycles, for a few brief years in the 1930s the range also included an attractive 247 cc. overhead valve machine known as the Stag. Designed by Harry Hatch, the engine was made by Blackburne exclusively for Francis Barnett. Stag production ceased in 1937 when the Blackburne engine plant closed.
The motorcycle on display is an example from the final year of production and is the model G46 Red Stag Sports. It had a top speed of 62 mph and returned 96 mpg at 35 mph.
It was most generously donated to the Museum in 1967 by Mr. S. Turner of Coventry. It was refurbished by a Manpower Services Commission Community Programme Scheme at the Edgwick Centre, Coventry, during 1988.